Sunday, June 29, 2014

Chaha छह

Well, it is now Ramadan season, and naturally all I can think about is food!
Where am I eating dinner? Who am I eating with? Shit! When am I going to eat?!

I'm going to be very frank when I say that during Ramadan, Kuwait can be a bit dry (no pun intended). It's like over 100 degrees, everyone is on prayer mode, Muslims are uptight & rightly so! They have been fasting ALL day. All I'm saying is, unfortunately this is not the most pleasant place to be  This is my second Ramadan in the Middle East and lets just day, I've learned my lesson!





In turn, I'm making up for negative side effects of Ramadan by experiencing how another Muslim-country carries out such a holy month. Travel has always been a big part of my life, integrating with other cultures and beliefs is super important to me.

Although, I have never realized the importance of a passport until moving out of the States. Hearing stories from the people of impovershed countries like Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, the Philippines,  and Bangladesh longing for the opportunity to travel or the simple idea of being in the United States of America, is so eye-opening. South Africans willing to pay me thousands to execute a false marriage, all for a blue book titled "U.S. Passport" in gold font. Of all the countries in the world, they want MY country. From my experiences it seems that most from the Eastern world would do almost anything to be apart of the culture that was handed to me, as my place of birth.

Before this journey I could never fathom what a blessing it is to be a U.S. citizen. Now that I see the importance, I understand what the privilege means; I can appreciate the freedom that was naturally given to me. I hate to throw the whole "I am an American" card, although since my great metamorphous as a citizen, I feel that it is only right to take full advantage of that, and use my passport damn it!

Follow me as I travel this season to multiple countries, and amazing cities, experiencing life through the shoes of others, indulging in the "soul food" of different lands. My first stop....Instanbul, Turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment